Friday, November 11, 2011

FAIL Post Updates!









Since I want to wind down this blog as its a drag to complain all the time and I don't have the time to keep up with all the FAILS. I've fallen behind because it seems with every visit, there is something. I'm passionate about these Animals and have constant thoughts about how their lives can be better. I post about it because I hope that these things change for them through the awareness my blogs bring. I've been told alot of this is just my opinion, and yes it is, who's else would it be? Yes, I do base my feelings on human emotion because that's the emotion I was born with. That doesn't invalidate these issues or the simple empathy of how they affect these Animals directly. This post will be an update to previous posts. It will contain photos and observations I've been noticing.

Starting from the top of the blog:

*NEWS for today - Zoo Management Lets Visitors Abuse the Animals!

Security hasn't gotten any better in my opinion. I still see much misbehaving. Security is hardly present in the hot spot areas, Bears and Chimps. I used to call Cats a hot spot, but honestly, even though people constantly bother them, they aren't in any danger since the barrier situation there securely will keep humans out. This is not to say that there shouldn't be someone patrolling that area at times. The Hippo and Rhino who also live on that path, are wide open. There is nothing keeping humans from entering the Bear enclosures, and there is constantly people misbehaving there. Curiously even though I've mentioned it and I know the Zoo reads my blogs, there are still no added signage, especially as suggested one like there is at the Asian Rhino the says to stay behind the barrier. Yes, that would take people actually reading it and obeying, but at least its there as an added measure to deter misbehaving. As well it amazes me that after the incident that sparked this post regarding the Chimps, there isn't more attention paid to them. It is common knowledge that the Chimps upset very easily. On Staffer rationalized it by saying "that's what Cobby does". Unbelievable! So, just because an animal is easily upset, he should be left open as a target? Additionally it was also made public that Tallulah one of the females, has some age related heart issues. THIS alone should be a reason to try and keep the area around them quiet, eg. Visitor heckling, at a minimum. The Zoo only hires 2-4 Security guards a day from what I understand. For three hours one is in the Lion House. There is always one in the parking lot. So on days when there are only two, that's where they are. Who is watching the Animals? No one, that's who. When Security does "patrol" they zoom by on bikes. How can they hear and watch Visitor behavior? They can't. I've said it before, the Docents should be utilized as extra eye's and ear's. They aren't. They aren't assigned these special duties, and for the most part they barely approach Visitors and certainly not to tell them to stop misbehaving. Get it together SFZOO and keep the Animals safe! I recently went to the Oakland Zoo and after talking with volunteers (equal to Docents) I was told if someone misbehaves, even heckles an animal into action (like Cobby was) they are throw out. At the SFZOO they don't throw you out they barely tell you to stop. I was told that even when they have thrown people out, they give them their money back! Outrageous! Come on in, harass our Animals and we will pay you to do so!

*Animal Safety Suggestions

As I mentioned above, more signage would help. As I mentioned in previous posts on this blog and others, more signage and a video would help. As I suggested to Zoo Director Tanya Peterson, more signage and a video would help. ... On my recent visit to the Oakland Zoo I noticed they seem to "get it". They have their signs sandwhich board style right on the paths, not tucked away near a tree so to not be that noticeable aesthetically. The signs are three times the size, and in your face, where they need to be. They also have a video about the Zoo running in their cafe, something I suggested two years ago. I could see their video was highlighting the Animals that live there, and may or may not address Animal Respect, but there is no reason the San Francisco Zoo can't have a video that does both. They need to.

*Project Get Wishbone Grass! & Teddy Bear Festival, but do you Respect the Bears?

Poor, sweet Wishbone. It is obvious that the Zoo has no plans to put grass in his enclosure in anyway (patch size). He will live out his life in an enclosure of concrete that has had no landscaping update since it was built over 70 years ago. It truly is shameful. Please read my blog dedicated to Wishbone's plight and my crusade for more detailed information I gather and post in support of his cause. I will be making some additional posts and updates there soon. ... www.projectgetwishbonegrass.blogspot.com


*The Hoofstock Shuffle

Well, poor Lily (Dukier) continues to live on the Savannah, separated from her family and the only one of her kind. To me that's just cruel. I hardly ever see her, not sure if she's hiding or what. BUT i did get lucky a couple weeks ago and she came right up to me when I said hello.

*Tapir Needs Clean Water! & Zoo Wall Spray Painted, Tapir Left Unprotected

Thankfully Goober's water has been clean pretty much every time I've gone by lately. Whether they are cleaning it more often or I just happen to be there when they are who knows. I can tell you that the constant overflow (water waste) in the Grizzly Grotto that I reported possibly utility fund would better be spent keeping Goober's water clean has changed. Over a month now, the overflow is no longer! Maybe blogging does help get some things done? ... The mural seems to be done, but for two Saturdays in a row recently the artist was out there working on it, right at the side of Goober's enclosure. He sure was suited up to protect from the hazards of paint (see photos) but there was no protection for Goob! Definite and direct disrespect for his health. BIG FAIL!!!


*Update on the Dry Elly situation & Black Rhino So Dry Skin is Cracking!

Happy to report the Elly's skin is much better (although her sides could use some oil) and both she and Mishaki seem to be getting oiled regularly! YAY! AND She is very happy being up front :) They really do need to rotate these two more thought because Mishaki seems a bit down sometimes in the back now too. It really is a shame that when they renovation was made the separation of housing areas wasn't side by side instead of front and back. I know this is a repeat of what I already posted but when I'm there every week and I look at these two that is what I think. Repeatedly. Why would professionals not consider this? Most likely so there is always one up front. Not right for the Animal. Anyway, can't change that so I hope that rotating them more starts to happen and I'm thankful they are both being oiled now! BIG FAIL that it obviously took me blogging and contacting the City Animal Welfare Chairperson to get this done.

*Yay, Nay, Nay

The male Giant Anteater's new digs has now been painted a more natural color! As I posted before the walking surface mounds were painted white, which the Zoo said was a sealant. This looks much better, although I personally wouldn't have chosen a glossy paint, but hey its progress! It would seem alittle blogging has helped once again :)

1 comment:

  1. I feel 100 percent exactly as you do in regards to all you have noticed, witnessed, and brought up. I was impressed with Oakland Zoo's friendliness and docent knowledge. I spoke with one docent and they have the 15 week course also. but..... the Oakland Zoo docents actually had knowledge and they came up to people with info or asked if we had questions. The SF Zoo docents are never around and if they are they give false info or go the opposite way of people. They are very unapproachable. I loved the signage at the Oakland Zoo.... I spent the whole day there and saw no misbehavior and even saw parents reading the signs to kids. Why do the San Francisco Zoo visitors run around like hooligans? well, one reason, Security doesnt stop them. I am so glad to see Miss Elly doing well, yes..... could use some oil on her sides but she has healed for those sores. I think that what hurts me the most is the disrespect of Wishbone not having grass and Goober having to endure artist spray and dirty water. I think your blog is wonderful, honest and accurate. You have a wonderful passion for these special animals, and I love these critter too!!!

    ReplyDelete