Thursday, September 6, 2012

September 6, 2012 - News Article, New for Today

I haven't posted to this blog for months.  After the passing of Andean Bear Wishbone, I made a final post to my blog dedicated to trying to get him some grass for his home, a soft surface to live on.  projectgetwishbonegrass.blogspot.com

I had since been posting my visit experiences and views on my main blog iamnotananteater.blogspot.com 

After the recent passing of my beloved friend Goober (Bairds Tapir)  I knew I didn't want to be involved with San Francisco Zoo BS any longer.  I know things are never going to change under the current administration, regardless of all the fluff they put out patting themselves on the back.  ...  I wrote a draft for a finale post, but was going to post it after I honored Goober with a RIP post, which I still have not been able to do.

I post today as this article just came via a google news alert for "sfzoo"

It basically goes over all the same plans the Zoo has for the future, which in my opinion (as I've posted about over and over) all in complete disregard for the Animals already living there.  ... Lending to why I think its futile to continue trying to make a difference there via my blogs.  Yes, I have seen changes that reflect things I've posted about, but I'm exhausted that over all not many people, and certainly not those in authority at the Zoo seem to embrace that a Zoo is an Animal Park.   The Animals should be the priority.

This all said, the reason I'm making this post is because the article writer included a paragraph that quotes me and links this blog.  

"So, new animals and humans, get bright, shiny, new and modern areas, while current animals continue to live status quo. I personally can not imagine being someone of authority in the Zoological Society and being able to sleep at night knowing I was forging ahead with plans that did not include helping the animals that already live there, before anything else," wrote a female blogger who goes by the name leo811 at the site http://sanfranciscozoofails.blogspot.com/.

I was going to comment on the actual article page, but it forces you to sign into Facebook, and then links your FB, which I don't think is relevant to my blog and public Zoo views.

I will say that, Animal Care VP David Bocian who is the subject of this article, has been at the Zoo well over a year, and for someone being touted as caring about the Animals, how could he (along with Director Tanya Peterson, Curators Corinne MacDonald and Debra Marrin, as well members of the San Francisco Zoological Society and anyone else who holds authority there) let Wishbone live on concrete with known back/bone/joint issues, letting him to eventually die from those issues?   

We all know (and if you don't, check my links and blog archive for related posts)  what I think about this and the future plans the Zoo has.  Anyone working in an Animal facility should want to take care at home before building new areas and bringing in new animals.  Doing anything else is disgusting.

As always, please expand the comments as they do provide extra information :)


Apologies once again I don't know why some parts post highlighted.  There is no way to remove, a color must be chosen.  So I chose one.  Hope its not too bothersome to read.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, first let me say may our beloved Goober rest in peace and i hope in time you will find some peace yourself it seems you cared deeply for him as did alot of us. Secondly, you are right about the Zoo, the current model for most Zoos involves and depends mainly on visitor money; thus, they must make decisions based on the exhibition of exotic animals for money. Which means some animals are worth more than others based on their likeability per se. I worked with Bocian for a while and he is a decent fellow but shares the same mentality that most do regarding captive animals. " they exist for our pleasure" pity; as humans we will never evolve or survive very long with that attitude. Keep up the good work and sorry about your friend Goober.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous- Thank you for your comment. I apologize for being tardy in reply. ... Thank you for not only mentioning our sweet Goob, but recognizing and acknowledging how much he meant to me. When I read your comment, as with each and every time I think of him or he is mentioned, I shed tears. He was a gem of a being. ... I also want to say that I very much appreciate you posting as someone who either works at the Zoo or has in the recent past. Its nice to have feedback from someone on the inside. There are way too many cowards within the walls. I sometimes feel like me and a handful of my
      friends/aquaintances are the only ones who get the issues I point out. As well, I often wonder if more people connected with the Zoo used the "Anonymous" opportunity to comment maybe things would start to change in the right direction. I fully understand (and have held Staffer confidences because of it) the fear of losing a job, but that fear doesn't have to make you commit moral suicide. In one of my correspondences with Zoological Soceity Board Chair David Stanton, I suggested they install some kind of Anonymous system for Staffers to express issues without becoming vulnerable to the ax. That will probably never happen, because as you have agreed there seems to be a band of merryman who buy into a certain mentality, and to install such a checks and balance system one would have to embrace the necessity of such. That all said, it is sad the direction our society of humans is headed. As you pointed out the direction Zoo's are taking as a whole, in addition to other Animal treatment tolerances that the world we live in finds acceptable and promotes, it surely does not lend a hand to the Zoo or anyone else's Mission of Education. There can be no Education of Animal treatment unless it starts not only in the homes of humans, but in the homes of animals, both captive and wild. Letting an animal like Wishy languish on concrete for two decades, does not send the message of how to treat animals in general, or how to keep them in captivity. Its all very disturbing and heart breaking. There are other ways to keep Zoo's profitable I'm sure, people just need to think outside the box. Something not many are willing to do. We all need to start someplace in doing something different than it has been done. Not only to save our Zoo and others, but to save animals globally, from a duck in on a local lake to orangutans in the Rainforests. I have digressed a bit, but its a huge topic with long reaching arms. Soceity needs to change its perception if humans are going to allow animals to live (respectfully) along side them, both in the wild and in captivity. ... Thank you again for your comment and for loving Goobie too :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with you - the SF Zoo has misguided priorities. The zoo should be taking care of the current animals and remember they are living, breathing entities and not commodities. Give them the respect they deserve and that means upgraded exhibits with substrates other than concrete, mates or companions if they are not solitary animals, and unique and creative enrichments.

    You have made some excellent points in your blog posts and I hope you'll continue. Even though Wishbone didn't get his grass, I'm sure there's a lot more awareness about bears in captivity and the type of exhibits they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @hazel - Thank you for your comment. I apologize to you too for being tardy in responce. Know that all the comments I get are appreciated, its just been tough to get back to this because of Goob. ... Thank you for recognizing and stating that the Zoo Residents aren't just comodities. That is an excellent synopsis. One of the reasons Zoo's exist is to maintain a population of animals threatened with extinction. Zoo's are no longer (read no longer should be) considered or viewed as places of "entertainment". They should carry the status of Museums. BUT the mentality of the majority of humans has not got a grip on that. That said, knowing that an overhaul of human empathy is needed worldwide, is it possible to and how can we save the Zoo in our little corner of the world? That is the question that needs to be tackled by a new San Francisco Zoo Administration who will think outside the box, and not buckle to the norm. Change has to start someplace. You made some excellent suggestions regarding updating the playgrounds (one of my major issues with the Zoo's future plans) in your comment on the article page. With that we have both illustrated that there is a way, to do things the Visitors supposedly want (has there been exit surveys polling visitors whether they want a new playground (for instance) or would rather see animals homes updated (better way of life) the answer to that is a big fat NO! Its all based on assumption. In order for the Visitors and the Donors for that matter to be educated on what the Zoo really needs, the current Administration would have to put that information out there and they don't. The Visitors and Donors need to know what each animals needs are and that they need funding to meet these needds (like ones you mentioned). I would hope anyone Visiting and/or Donating would then feel/give compassionately. And funding areas for humans and non-endangered or rescued animals is not what should be happening.

      Delete
  3. There's not much more that I can add to your thoughts on the subject. Goober was a precious soul and the zoo will not be the same without him. I feel so strongly that the reason we lost so many animals this year has been because of their environment being so outdated. Wishbone should not have been subjected to concrete with his health ailments and also that it was just plain wrong. The zoo comes up with these wild big plans of playgrounds etc...that cost a lot when small comforts for the wonderful animals there cost so little. Rest assured that you have made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lee- Thank you for your comment. Another tardy reply, I apologize. Each comment is much appreciated! ... I agree. Although I will add that not only does the Zoo have an outdated environment issue, they have an outdated and stagnant thinking issue. ... You are right about small comforts. Wishy could have had a patch of grass for pennies what they plan to spend giving human kids a play area. disgusting beyond belief. And there are so many Animals who need mental stimulation that aren't getting it. Gauhati sits in a corner most of the day pouting out of boredom. Poor Elly stares into an empty area looking for Mishaki. The Chimps get a rush of mini excitement at the start of the day when stuff is put out for them, but then are just bored the rest of the day. So much could be done for so little, but the Zoo wants to think big instead of doing little things that matter. ... Thank you for the kudos. I hope I've brought awareness and made a difference. I know Elly would never have gotten oiled if I hadn't made it an issue.

    ReplyDelete