Monday, July 4, 2011

Tapir Needs Clean Water!



It is UNACCEPTABLE for Goober, the Bairds Tapir to have such dirty water!!!


This is an open plea to the San Francisco Zoo Animal Management team, please make sure that the water in Goober's pool is changed more than once a day.

I understand that Tapirs are river animals who potty in the water, but Goober does not live in the wild AND he has mouth issues. He should NOT be continually orally taking in dirty water, laden with feces and urine.

You post a notice about his issue, yet his mouth constantly has dirty water flushing through it. We both KNOW this is a serious problem.

I have not been at the Zoo as often as I had been, but every weekend that I am there, his pool is filthy. Yesterday I was there in the late morning til closing and his water was horrible when I got there and horrible when I left. While the seals pool has a continuous flow of fresh water.

This is not a (too much) water usage issue either, as there is a constant flow of water over one of the walls in the Grizzly Grotto, that seems to just be a waste.

Goober is precious and deserves to swim in fresh water. When he goes under water and hangs out, he doesn't need to be submerged in filth.

Please help to prevent additional health issues and keep Goober's mouth clean and comfortable, by providing him with fresh water more than once a day.

DRAIN THAT DIRTY POOL AND KEEP IT CLEAN!!!


UPDATE: I talked to a Staffer who I trust and was told that the Tapir's pool only gets changed three (3) times a week!!! I think that's outrageous for the reasons stated above. This is a Management decision. It does seem curious as there are pools that get drained and changed daily all about the place, yet his is not a priority to change daily. Unfortunately I do not think this will change. Sorry my sweet Goob, I tired.

2 comments:

  1. This is a disgrace and it's extemely unaceptable and disrespectful of the zoo staff to feel this is ok. Goober is an incredible animal and greets all the visitors with a big smile and nose twitch despite healthy issues. I adore this guy as I do all the animals there. Yes, he is a river animal. but..... he has always lived at a zoo with fresh water. This is why tapirs live a long time in captivity...they don't have to drink river water!!! Please rectify this injustice right away!!! If you cant afford the water bill, maybe you can have one of your benefits held for the water bill !!! Goober is a wonderful wonderful wonderful little guy.... please keep his water fresh. You don't have to fill it to the top, just keep it clean !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lee - Thank you for your comment. Water conservation can not be sited as an issue, as I pointed out that there is over flow into the Grizzly Grotto that is continuous all day everyday while the Grizzlies are in the Gulch, so there is a waste that is obviously not a problem, so there is no excuse for not keeping Goober's pool clean.

    ReplyDelete