Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Zoo Wall Spray Painted, Tapir Left Unprotected

UG, where do I begin. I hate feeling that I am being so judgmental, but seriously, too many issues that I have seem like common sense DOs & DON'Ts. I know common sense has fallen out of style in epidemic proportions, but I expect those with who hold jobs in which another life depends on their decisions and actions, to actually make responsible choices.

I used to frequent the San Francisco Zoo Facebook page, until a discussion about signage and security came up and I guess I offered too much advice on how to better the situation and not only were my posts removed, but I was somehow disabled from posting. Since then and having my Membership revoked (see sanfranciscozoocrime.blogspot.com) I don't bother to check out their FB too often, just as well they don't post too often.

Today was one of those times I did check-in there and they had photos (http://tinyurl.com/3uy59xy) of the artist who is painting a mural on east side of the Pachyderm building. The wall that borders Goober, the Baird Tapir's home.

The photos clearly state and show that the artist is using spray paint. They also clearly show that the artist is protected with face gear. The ground is clearly protected from splatter. It also clearly shows that THERE IS NO PROTECTION from splatter, residue or direct fumes, at the open area that leads into Goober's enclosure!!! The closest edge of the mural is about 4 feet from Goober's pool! Incredible. In a bad way.

I thought the mural was a nice addition (I do hope the artist puts a Goober in it!). In fact, I had suggested to Director Tanya Peterson almost two years ago, that they should get an art student to do some paintings. When they did and the project was started in Orkney's (Gray Seal) enclosure, I suggested a Pacific Coast mural (Octopus, starfish, ect), but instead he got clouds. My friend Lee and I also volunteered to paint Goober's area, at our own cost, but that was never responded to.

Anyway I digress. I like the mural, but now knowing spray paint was involved, I wish proper precaution was taken to protect one of the Zoo's most precious Residents.

It's always windy and I've used spray paint myself, it carries. Goober and his home should have been protected.

The mural still says "in progress", I hope the Zoo makes sure to find a tarp and cover the opening near the mural, when spray paint is being used.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say I am upset and again shocked that the zoo continues to disrespect their animals. Yes, it's great that a mural is being painted and from what I saw the other day, it's really pretty. My problem is that Goober is left unprotected from the spray paint and fumes and this is all done within a few feet of his night quarter entrance, water and food supply, not including the fact that he has to smell and breathe this all day long while the artist wears a mask. The zoo again fails in their environmental and animal respect AGAIN. Please make this right zoo.... PLEASE. Goober needs to be protected from the toxic fumes and should be able to swim in his water without paint fumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lee- Thank you for your comment. YES! to it all!

    ReplyDelete