Thursday, January 5, 2012

Theft of Zoo Squirrel Monkey

This story out of the San Francisco Zoo is so curious, I'm not sure what the actual truth will turn out being.

Everyone knows I have major problems with the Zoo's Security System in the way that there are not enough Staffed and out patrolling, nor do they take what I consider appropriate action toward visitors who misbehave.  I am not sure either of those issues played a hand directly in the theft of Banana Sam.

Let me note now that there was an unreported event, I'd say about eight weeks ago that involved the theft from the Children's Zoo of a Rabbit and a Parrot.  Both incidents had the same MO, which had the perimeter gate locks snapped open with a bolt cutter type instrument.   SO knowing that, I had to question to myself and my Zoo going cohorts, how can this happen again AND who would do such a thing?   They batted around theories of disgruntled ex-interns in regards to the CZ incident and in regards to this most recent monkey incident, none of us even has an assumption to what the truth actually is.  What its not is that someone just happened to be walking in Stern Grove and saw Banana Sam in a tree in the dark!  and he jumped into a backpack.  ... I am glad that the Police now see the story as ridiculous and is now investigating.

Back to the San Francisco Zoo Security System facts.  There has been only one Guard on patrol, prior to the Monkey theft.  There are very few cameras on premises, I don't know exactly where they are, except for two I've seen, one at the Gate House (where they take the tickets) and the other at a corner of Big Cat Grotto A.  I also don't know if there are any monitoring the perimeters.  One would hope so.   This is something very lacking.  Lacking as well is an outdoor lighting system.  If there was ever an ER there at night there is no way to light up the place.  Finally, in my opinion based on actions I've seen by Visitors that goes unpunished (reprimand and thrown out), I think the Zoo sends a message that they will tolerate misbehavior.  That hurts me.  I care about the Animals.  I continually blog for better Management in many way, for their well being.  Having crimes against them continually perpetrated because of lack of (read back blogs for all my suggestions) is very frustrating and heart breaking.

Would any of the things I've noted here have prevented this theft?  Who knows.  I would hope better instilled and installed precautions and deterrents would help.  Humans are not a nice bunch for the most part.  

I read a news article that is lengthy, but goes to show, how insensitive humans are.  These are the same humans that visit the Zoo.   ... The humans that make-up phony Twitter accounts, Tweet out stupid, insensitive one liners, just a bunch of clowns who think they are funny at the expense of poor innocent animals.  It makes me sick.


I will also lastly note on the subject of Twitter and the Zoo's lack of proactive intolerance of the kinds of people who visit the Zoo, I have all SFZOO keyworded tweets on RSS feed.  Often there are people who tweet out that they are going to come to the Zoo and do harm to the animals.  I ask, why doesn't the Zoo's IT guy find out who these people are, and tell them to stay the hell home!  Out them for the fools they are and show that the Zoo will not tolerate such terrorism, whether a joke or not.  Who are they afraid of offending?


No comments:

Post a Comment