Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bison Paddock Fence - Outrageous and Concerning CONTAINS UPDATE 1.26.12

In light of the tragic event less than 72 hours ago when a baby Bison living in Golden Gate Park's Bison Paddock died, I am concerned the fencing there is still not secure enough to keep further animal intruders out.


shorter version showing just where my foot fits under the fence here: 



(wide angle shows coyote sign (R) and across path perimeter paddock fence (L)

Last night (Thursday) ended with me wondering why, in all the comments on the sfgate.com article regarding the death of the baby Bison, was there only one person (who I quoted in my last post) who brought up the situation with the fence?  One!  Over 300 others seem to exclusively blame the Dog walker, while the Zoo spokesperson Lora LaMarca is quoted saying, "Zoo Officials are not blaming "anything" or "anyone" for the Bison's death."  

Well, I'm blaming the City of San Francisco Park and Recreation Department.

This morning (Friday) started with me compelled to investigate the fence situation.  The situation being, why, was this fence so easily breach-able?  Yes, the the Dog walker by being in violation of the Law, by having the Dog off leash in an leashed area, allowing the Dog to gain entrance into the Bison Paddock, was the catalyst in this tragedy.  Is the Dog walker to blame?  Most certainly!  Should she be fined and punished?  Most certainly!  Is she the only party responsible?  I say no!

I went out to the Bison Paddock today and walked the entire accessible perimeter, about three of the four sides. ... Fencing is about 8 feet tall, the bottom which borders the ground of mostly loose dirt on 3 of the four sides, is the bar across the bottom (noticeable in the photos).  There is no fencing into the dirt. 


After returning home and thinking no underground fencing was insane, I heard from a source that there has been instances at Zoo's, one in particular, where Coyote's are a problem in the area and that Zoo had to reinforce its perimeter fence by putting several feet of mesh below ground.


As a Richmond District native, I have been a visitor to the Bison Paddock my whole life.  My observations are in hindsight to this event, but I am not the person trained and paid (responsible) to think of these solutions as a preventative.   There were workers out there daily for a couple months prior to these babies arriving, building and readying the Paddock for them to live (presumably) safely in.   The fence as is, keeps the animals in. Which I think unfortunately when holding animals in captivity, those in charge mostly only think of keeping them in.  That fence  may be sufficient where there are no predator threats, but there obviously are here, so why were there no precautions to keep intruder animals out?


Both the Park and Rec and the Zoo know there are Coyotes that roam the area.  They also know there is an off leash Dog area (that reported measured at 50 ft.).  They also know that Dog owners do not keep their Dogs on leashes.  Canines dig, a fence that is breach-able in that way, is not secure.

In my post last night, I questioned who is responsible for making sure this fence is secure.  Today I have an answer from two sources.  Regarding the Golden Gate Park Bison Paddock, it is the responsibility of the San Francisco Zoo Animal Staff to care and feed the Bison & it is the responsibility of the San Francisco Park and Recreation Department to maintain the property.  


Because of that, maybe this post is not directly related to a SFZOO FAIL, but since it is related and its sister post is previous, I am posting here.  ... Although, where as I foremost blame the Park and Rec, I do believe as a daily care-giver for these Animals, the Zoo Staff should be held in some way responsible for the status of the fence.  They are there daily and should walk the perimeter and check for breaches and report them.  That said, the Park Staff should also make a stop there daily to do the same.  Its a hand in hand responsibility.

As seen in the video I have uploaded here, I have documented fence FAILS!  I found 36 points of breach.  8 of which were flimsy patched, leaving 28 areas below the fence that were clear of dirt to the other side.  14 of which I could fit my foot under, one if I laid down I could fit up to my thigh into the animal side of the enclosure!

In some spots there are actual holes that appear to have been dig sites, some as deep as about 7 inches.  These sites had flimsy patch-ups using materials like, leaves, pine cones, branches, stumps, cracked concrete, ect.  

This is outrageous!  Just 48 hours after this little Bison dies because an intruder animal breached the fence that should have been secure, there are areas where the crime can be repeated!  

The Park and Rec has signs posted through out the Park stating warnings of the presence of Coyotes.  There is one at the off leash Dog area across the path from the Bison Paddock.   

Prior to bringing these innocent baby Bison here, did the Park and Rec not think that Coyote's could breach this fence, since there is no underground mesh to prevent digging?   

After a Dog either dug itself an entrance or used an already started dig site, (by another Dog or Coyote), causing the death of one of these precious animals, did the Park and Rec not think that the fence would be breach-able to yet another Canine?

For me, it seems like common sense.  

That said, while I was out there, there was a guy walking his Dog off leash.  The Dog took a crap less than two feet from the Bison fence.  

Why, especially in the wake of this event and with so much focus on the Dog walker, was there no Police sitting out there looking for offenders to cite not only because its the Law, but to send a message to the people like the one I saw (I actually saw a few in the Park itself)?

Why, hasn't anyone from the media investigated the fence angle as I have?

Is this City waiting for another tragedy?


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


This evening I read in one news article, that "Park officials said they plan to investigate how the dog got into the enclosure."    Maybe they will read this blog and find out just how, because one would have to assume that not one Park Official has walked the perimeter, because its pretty obvious just how this happened.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Note that I have sent the link to the youtube video version, via Twitter to the Park and Rec, Zoo, City Officials and media sources.  I did not send this link as the post I made Thursday night went out with this url.  Also, providing the abbreviated version is enough.  If anyone truly cares they will follow the link to this site.  


The purpose of my blogging is to be a public voice to bring attention to dismissed matters of importance.  I've done that and now its up to the Officials in the matter to keep these animals safe.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


UPDATE Wednesday January 11, 2012


Its been exactly one week since this tragedy, and the fence had the same security issues that I documented last Friday. Additionally I also saw a new dig site the was about 16 inches across. ... I have heard nothing in response to the information I have posted, which was sent to many sources in city government and media.  I'm disappointed at the continued ignorance and negligence.  ... That said, I have two questions for the San Francisco Park and Rec.


Why are these animals still without a properly secure fence?


Are you waiting for another incident?


There should also be signage going up around the three sides that are closest to the off leash Dog area, as well at least one on the JFK Drive side.  These signs should be on the fence every 25 feet or so, as well at least one placed at the entrance to the Dog area.  Signs ideally should read, No dogs off leash except in corralled area.  No Dogs within 10 feet of fencing.


UPDATE 1.14.12  Today I saw the babies have been added into the main yard with the existing three ladies.  The sun was setting and the babies were running with so much excitement and joy!  It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.  I just hope they stay safe and life a long life with such happiness!   You can view my video here:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_0iOBmklT0


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


UPDATE 1.26.12  Its been two weeks since my last update.   I did walk the perimeter last week, and yesterday as well.  Wednesday's mark the weekly point of when this tragedy happened.  


There are still all the breach-able areas in the fence.  I just don't understand how this is not a concern to the Park and Rec or the SFZoo Staff.  To me, its a dire issue.  ... There are a few spots in the fence where it looks like fresh dirt /pinecones were used to fill-in dig holes. Lame! Hello LAME!  This is not a fix to the problem.  


There are now a few signs on the back-side of the fence that runs parallel to the Dog run area, as well one (interesting how I suggested at least one - see above) on the JFK Drive side, that state its an on leash area for Dogs.  


Despite posting a few signs, there needs to be action taken to add fencing below ground around the perimeter.  People can and will ignore signs.  People and Predators can't easily ignore more secure barriers.  


If you think this is insane and irresponsible, please contact the Park and Rec.

2 comments:

  1. I am sickened about this tragedy that totally should not have ever happened. Thank you so much for bringing this horrible travesty to light. I am worried for the other Bison as it doesnt appear that park and rec took this serious. I have raised exotics in the past and know very well that a coyote could easily dig under a fence. If the animal is larger, they would work as a pack. The Bison that have been there for years are older...thus no problem as they are huge and the coyote issue wasnt big then. I am horrified that bringing baby Bison into the compound without proper securing of fencing was done and right next to a dog park and coyote signs? Horrifying, not acceptable, and the BIG question.... is anything being done now to protect the others? The dog park should have been closed immediately and the fencing secured to make it just too hard for the coyotes and dogs to dig. Please Park and Rec, make this right immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @andiecattt- Thank you for your comment. I too am still bothered that this was allowed to happen. It is obvious pure negligence on the Park and Rec to not have made sure the perimater fence was secure from outside intruders. I fear it is still breach-able and will remain that way.

    I doubt many Officials have taken notice to this matter, but it will not be for the lack of me trying. ... As well, no news sources, television or paper have brought this obvious fault up. Are there no investigative reporters anymore? No one willing to question anything? Is it common for news staff to just report off of press releases?

    I do not understand how a tragedy like this can happen and none of the players are held responsible. I do not understand how there isn't more people of the public who are not questioning this and showing more concern. Very disappointing.

    You are right, the off leash Dog area should have been closed, not only as they should be tending to an underground reinforcement, but sending a message. There is obvious need for a message to be sent, seeing as I saw one off leash in the time i was there. No message has been sent. No securing has been done. This City is insane, but let's get right on that phone ap to find vacant parking spaces!

    ReplyDelete