Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What is wrong with San Francisco Zoo PR Staff?

This is a screen-cap from the Black Rhino Studbook. 
Official documentation on our Black Rhino's history.

Yesterday I was texted the news that yet another precious Zoo friend had passed away.  RIP Mashaki/Gene. This is the third one in five weeks.  RIP Tunya.  RIP Bubsy.  I have yet to post anything regarding these deaths, as well another Zoo friend Wishbone is fighting for his life (please pray for him), as he is hopefully going to recover from a recent back injury.    I will actually refrain from making too many comments regarding the actual deaths.  I am heartbroken at these losses, for myself and those who loved these Animals, especially their Keepers who I know form incredible bonds with the Animals in their care.

When I heard the news about Gene, so many things that I've had in draft form, were compounded once I actually read the reports from the Zoo regarding what happened to him.  The frustration vented here in this post is not concentrated on "what" happened, but "what was reported. ... I will say this as I was shocked by his death and that of Bubsy, both not considered old by standards I've read.  I sometimes fear Animal deaths get reported by simply stating "old age" related issues.  I think the Zoological Society or another governing branch should mandate outside Necropsies be performed.   I have read other Zoo's do this, I think at this point given the erroneous information that comes out of the Zoo, this would be a good checks and balance to institute.

The first thing I was directed to by a friend was the Zoo's post on their Facebook, in which they say, “Gene,” a gentle and friendly black rhinoceros, died yesterday at the age of 41..." ... Gene was not 41. ... I then I read the sfgate.com article, which must have contained information put out by the Zoo's PR and there were no correct biographical facts.  Most of what was reported was part of the Female Black Rhino Elly's bio.  

Some might wonder why this is so bothersome to me and that is because I'm damn tired of not many people (outside Keeper level) who work at the Zoo knowing anything about the Animals who live there and for whom they have jobs because of.  There is no respect.  Its disgusting and ignorant.  I love these Animals, it hurts me.

Gene, deserved to have a proper obituary, that contained the history of his life. ... The San Francisco Zoo male Black Rhino, Gene.  Born at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, July 12, 1987 and given the name Mashaki.  He came to the San Francisco Zoo in 1994.  He was 24 years old.

Why is it the Zoo put out a press release with the wrong information on it?   Yes they are notorious for getting stuff wrong and posting disrespectful words about the Animals.  Just this week, they posted to both their Facebook and Twitter accounts the wrong ages of  both their Polar Bears, as well there is a new sign on the Tiger exhibit window with the wrong age of the Tiger they are referring to.  What gives?  Do they not have a copy of their own Animal List?  More important is there no file kept on each Animal that lives there?  Good grief, I don't work there, but when I became endeared to the Animals, I did my research to learn about them.  That research I initially posted on my first blog,  gooberssfzoofriends.blogspot.com  I invite the Zoo Staff responsible for these errors to read my blog and learn something about the Animals you get paid to know about.  Isn't it part of the Zoo's Mission to educate?  To educate or be educated, that is the question.

The previous paragraph is based on the assumption that they release information in error, but wonder if in some cases its not in error?  I know for a fact that Management tailors information to form untruths.  I myself was a victim of that, so there is no denying it on their part.  I hate to assume theories but I have seen stuff that I don't make public and I wonder if things aren't sometimes worded in ways to deflect from other errors.  If errors as simple as not knowing an Animals documented history can be made, what other errors are being made?

UPDATE: 3.1.12  -  The past few days all the news feeds coming through with the error laden press released information was making me sick.  BUT today for some reason I clicked on one and the lead in was such:
Note:  Zoo Officials initially said Gene was 41.  They have since clarified that he was 24.  

Wonder where they got that information?    Good grief, why is it I'm not running the Zoo? Oh wait, it appears I secretly am.


I'd like to know if they gave a reason for the error <cough>  (sorry I don't mean to be snarky but this was a HUGE fumble on their part) and where they issued this clairification.

The article can be viewed here:
http://sfappeal.com/news/2012/02/sf-zoo-mourns-gene-the-rhino.php



UPDATE:  3.5.12 I'm sorry to be so picky, but I just need stuff to make sense, ... literally "add" up.  Regardless that the Zoo's official Animal List shows Orkney's Birthday (estimate) as June 1, 1962, I have always gone by the sign outside his enclosure (pictured).

Zoo Press Release has his age at 42 (which makes sense), and living at the Zoo for 32 years.  If he came to the Zoo at approx. One year old, that would be 41 years that the Zoo was his home.  I know I went to school in the San Francisco School District, but basic math I can do!

Miss you Orkney.  Yesterday was a tough visit not having you there to greet me :(

After seeing one article the showed six photos of Gene and only three were actually him, I made some Memorial video tributes for my Zoo friends.  I have so many photos of them I wanted to not only share them, but do something to celebrate their life.


RIP Tunya, Bubsy, Gene and Orkney XO.




5 comments:

  1. good grief- I read the Zoo's post yesterday, and wondered at the time if you were over-reacting because at 41 Gene seemed to have had a good long life. Yes I agree it is appalling that such simple and straightforward facts are not presented correctly to the media. I have to add that I am also often annoyed that zoos (and not just SFZ)rarely keep their exhibit signage up to date on identifying individual animals and their histories. The public gets very confused because they accept things at face value from what they read on signs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous- Thank you for your comment. I can understand where folks would think I over-react, after-all I do have alot to say about everything! Honestly I try to be fair in all aspects of life and not be judgmental, but when so many things are just not right and like the things noted in this post, blatantly wrong, its hard to not be judgmental. Like I said I'm just tired of so many things that happen there, I'm exhausted, disgusted and YES appalled, of the apparent crap that's put forth. I just want the Staff to do a better a better job, for the integrity of the Zoo and the respect of the Animals. The Zoo is the home of Animals, they are the heart and soul of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The PR department is a joke. They do no resarch before press releases. They are disrespectful to the animals by getting basics wrong. It makes me wonder what other info goes out wrong across the board there. Thank you for your wonderful tributes. As of this comment the zoo has now lost five animals in five weeks. I have seen errors in all their press releases. Rip precious Tunya,Bubsy,Gene,Orkney and Wishbone. I will always love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Andie- Thank you for your comment. Just like there is curious stuff that goes on there, we must also be suspicious of the "words" that come out of there. ... Glad you enjoyed the tributes. I am trying to get one for Wishbone done. Its hard making these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think its curious how they pick and choose which Animals to have Press Releases about. These were all "big" Animals, so you would think they would have all had a Media mention. Bubsy's passing still has never been released, and unless anyone is following my posts, folks still think there were only four passings. And in regard to my posts, its curious that Wishy passed on Monday, yet there was no Press Release til after I posted to my blog. I bet had I not wrote about it, it would have never been mentioned in the Media, as Orkney's went out the same day. Just like when Andy passed in 2010, and Annie passed the next day, only Andy's passing got Released.

    ReplyDelete