Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Hoofstock Shuffle




Early 2010, the San Francisco Zoo decided to put up gates to close off several paths. This made no sense to me. I asked around and got a few different answers as to why, which included, people complained there were too many exhibits with no animals, too far to walk with no exhibits and not enough staff to keep the area maintained.

The paths that were closed were: from the back side of Chimps, past Black Swans (who have since moved to the Puente), to the Indian Rhino; from Cats, past the Dukiers, Muntjac, and Black Buck, to the Grizzly Bears; and from the Black Buck field (above the Lion Fountain), past the opposite side of the Dukiers, to the Warthogs. As you can see all these paths have (exception now is Black Swan) Animals living in these exhibits. Additionally contrary to explanations, closing the path from Cats to Bears creates a farther distance for those with walking disabilities.

As a big fan of the Black Buck named Pokemon, I was really bummed that I wouldn't be able to see him, or any of the other Hoofstock that live along these paths. In a conversation with a Keeper I noted my grief and was told that these closures were especially bad because both the Black Swans and Pokemon love to see people. The Black Swan has since moved to the Puente, but Pokemon has been left to only see the Keepers a few times a day. He otherwise has no visitors. This is cruel in my opinion, as this is an animal who has been so imprinted by humans, that he can not be housed with other animals, so they only gratifying visual contact he gets is those few visits a day from Keepers.

Some Docent friends of mine told me that they were allowed to bring tours beyond the gates, so before getting my Membership revoked (I wouldn't dare ask for this privilege now), I was lucky that I've been able to visit with Pokemon. The first few times, he was no where to be seen. When I asked about this, I was told by a Keeper, "He knows no one walks back there so he doesn't bother to come down (from the far area where his shed is)". Thankfully the last time I was able to go back, I saw him up by his shed and called a hello out to him. He came running to the fence! It made me cry. He was so happy to see me (someone). I talked to him for about 20 minutes and I felt horrible leaving while he was still standing at the fence, craving attention. I do not advocate calling out to the animals, but for Pokemon, just to see people is something he needs, so saying "Hi Pokemon" to alert him I was there and wanted to see him, was an innocent exception.

At one of the Park and Recreation Commission Meeting's last year (video clip available online, will find it and post link) the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson, excitedly shared the news of the birth of a baby Dukier. She went on to add that right now its hard to see because of the species nature, but that she hoped it would be visible soon. VISIBLE to whom? The path is closed! Now whether it was her intention to say she hopes she will see it soon, or that was an veiled invite for committee members to view it soon, this is a public meeting, so to me this was a statement that the public would be able to see it soon, otherwise this is an knowingly false statement put forth to the Commission.

When the first (that I've seen) Dukier baby was born in December 2009, it was so exciting to try and catch a glimpse of him. I loved going by there and visiting with the family. With the second baby, its over a year old and I've never seen it.

After the arrival of Tucker the Hippo, I contacted Animal Care and Control Chair Sally Stephens, who is present at all the Joint Zoo Committee Meetings. I have gone to many Meetings in the past and found her to be one of the only people on the panel who ask questions. I emailed her with the Tucker concern that prompted the correspondence and distressing issue regarding the recent transfer of the female (mother) Dukier Lily, to the Savannah. It didn't seem right to separate her from her family and move her to the Savannah, where she would not only be away from her long-time mate, but the only animal of her species living there. Ms. Stephens brought forth this concern to the Zoo and they answered that she was moved to prevent her from getting pregnant again. I later discussed this answer with Ms. Stephens and she like I was curious then why Lily wasn't put on birth control. Ms. Stephens failed to follow-up on this at the next meeting, even though I emailed her a reminder.

So, Lily has been living on the Savannah now for almost six months and the only time I have seen her is once as she ran to the barn at closing time. Others has said they seen her a couple times, huddled against the wall under an overhang. Horrible. Why can't she be implanted with a birth control? Every other non-breeding female is. If for some reason this is not possible, then why move her solo to a huge area inhabited by many other species she is not familiar with? Why wasn't the better choice to leave her where she was and move two males to the Savannah together? If she can't be with her mate, at least give her the comfort of her known surroundings. To shuffle her to some place she is unfamiliar with AND alone, is cruel.

Last night I was told that the new Dukier plan is to move the father and son temporarily into the Warthog (sadly the male passed a couple weeks ago) exhibit. TEMPORARILY? Why? Evidently the Zoo is awaiting approval to bring in a new species for that exhibit, so until then I guess they want to fill it? Leave no exhibit empty? If so, that sounds like a very casual reason, as this would involve uprooting these animals, to just put them back later? Unless since the Zoo is still planning to move forward with their Master Plan that includes a new "Americas" area, they are displacing the Hoofstock that live along that path to make way for construction? I have heard that the young Muntjac was moved back to the field with its father, after the passing of the senior female Black Buck that also lived there. Another sad move, as even though Pokemon can't live with other animals, he was next to Baby Jac. So with moving the Dukiers (who were directly across from Pokemon), now as well, Pokemon is the only Animal who will be living on that path.

Moving forward with this Master Plan is a big FAIL while there are still existing enclosures that need renovation. See the post, Project Get Wishbone Grass. In addition there are two other completely cement Bear (Polar) Grotto's that could use some landscaping. I also have an idea to combine two of the three Chimp Grotto's to make one huge area, and when that is done, joining the front area to them. The Chimp area would end up three times the size. San Francisco Zoo, THOSE renovations SHOULD BE your new Master Plan!

Pictured: Pokemon!

No comments:

Post a Comment